PSD Academy & Registry is providing service dogs to individuals in need. PSDA will match you with the right dog for you and your family situation.
We will evaluate your needs and select the dog that will be the best fit. After we have selected your dog, we will hand deliver the dog directly to you.
What can a service dog help with
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Panic Attacks
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sleep Apnea
- Traumatic Brain Injury
How can a service dog help
- Waking the owner from a nightmare
- Reminding of daily routines
- Retrieving needed items
- Staying with owner after owner wakes from a nightmare
- Reminding the owner to take daily meds (as needed and scheduled)
- Interrupting and redirecting the owners panic/anxiety
- Relieving pain, soreness, and stiffness
- Assisting owner to a seated position
- Bracing to help with balance until seated or someplace safe
- Retrieving telephone, help, meds
- Waking up a passed out owner
- Retrieving medical attention
- Alerting 911
- Turning off and on lights
- Closing doors
- Pulling wheelchair
- Retrieving prosthetic device
To obtain a service dog
After many years of working with, providing training for, and instructing trainers
with Veterans organizations that provide free service dogs, we have decided that we
want to provide the same resources to civilians (men, women, and children) in need
of a service dog, but do not have the financial means to obtain one. We will soon be
providing free psychiatric, medical alert, mobility, and neurological service dogs to
individuals that apply and are accepted into our program.
All expenses are included in this program such as: dog, supplies, travel, food, training
course, and materials.
The dogs that we use in our program are rescued dogs that have been thoroughly evaluated
for temperament, stability, working drive, eagerness to please, and trainability. Our goal
with this program is not only to help people in need of a service dog but also to reduce
the number of dogs facing euthanasia.
The steps for this program are as follows
- Print the application and complete it in its entirety
- Mail in the application with the supporting documents listed on the checklist
- Allow 3 weeks to be contacted
- Upon approval, you will be matched with a service dog already in the training process
- We will then begin working with the dog on your specific needs
- You will meet and attend a training course with your new service dog approximately 6 months from the date of approval
- This course is a 1 week long training course at your location where, upon completion, you are provided with Service Dog in Training ID's, materials, service dog vest, collar, leash, bowls, dog food, etc.
- You then have a year of telephone and web conference checks, video submissions, and continued support from your home
- At the end of the year, you will come back for another week of testing and graduation
- Provided you have completed the entire course and passed all testing, you are then provided with your Certified Service Dog ID's and certificate
Please understand that there is a 6 month waiting period for this program which cannot be
waived or expedited. This allows us the time needed to match you with the right dog for
your situation, pre-train the dog, make your travel arrangements, provide the dog with
their needed medical care such as shots and spay or neuter, etc. Compared to other
companies wait times of up to 3 years and that the program is of no cost to you, our 6
month wait time is very short.
The program is designed for the individual to assist in the final stages of the dog’s
service task training. The reason for this is that, especially in the psychiatric service
dog training field, everyone’s reactions to certain symptoms vary. This means that in
order for your dog to be trained specifically for your needs, you must participate in the
final stages of training. This does include long training days and physical activity. If
you have special needs that limit your physical participation please explain that in detail
in your application.
Your first step is the most important. You must complete the application in its entirety
prior to us being able to get started working with you. We verify that every individual
that applies to the program is in need of a service dog by the recommendation of their
medical doctor. Our company is a highly credible and recommended company. We maintain those
standards by following our protocol and verifying all information on the forms is complete
Service dog application form
Please complete the following application in its entirety, and return it to us at the following address:
PSD Academy & Registry
1900 S Harbor City Blvd
Melbourne, FL 32901
To view the PDF document, you will need to install Adobe Acrobat reader or any other supported PDF reader.
Click here to download
Individual pages (JPG)
Each page in the application is available to download as a separate JPG image.
The total cost is $6000, which includes:
- Service dog
- Training and board
- Service vest
- Starter pack
- Trainer travel